Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   Restoration Tips (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Painting a frame? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=51510)

samckitt 03-14-2018 07:38 PM

Painting a frame?

A few questions to paint a frame:

What do you use to degrease it?

Do you take it apart down to bare frame ( motor is out), remove all hydraulic lines, rear, brake pedal(s)?

Power wash it?

Sand blast it or just sand it to rough up existing paint?

what primer do you use?

olds45512 03-15-2018 07:47 AM

I guess it depends on how nice you want it to be when it's done and how long you want it to last. You will get the best results if it's sandblasted and then sprayed with a good quality epoxy and the paint of your choosing. If you are planning to paint it with spray cans then I don't really think it matters what you do, spray paint will never look as good as paint from a gun and it also lacks durability since it's not hardened.

finsruskw 03-15-2018 08:39 AM

Scrape the bulk of the crud off with your putty knife and get it sandblasted for best results then shoot with transport yellow (AKA federal yellow)
Mineral spirits can be used to wipe it down also.
I spray mineral spirits on with a spray bottle then power wash before sandblasting.
the rear ends I usually clean that way with a wire brush and rattle can them on the spot instead of struggling with them for transport. Esy to powerwash while still in the rolling frame.

R Bedell 03-15-2018 08:59 AM

What "olds45512" said....:ThumbsUp:

olds45512 03-15-2018 09:50 AM

Never wipe down sandblasted parts with anything. No matter what kind of rag or towel you use the texture left behind in the metal from the blaster will shred it and leave behind a ton of lint which is almost impossible to get rid of. Once the parts are blasted they are free from contaminants and you can simply blow the dust off real good and go straight to paint, just make sure you handle the blasted parts with rubber gloves to avoid contaminating them with oil from your hand. If you get a spot of something on them that needs cleaned use brake cleaner, just spray it on and then blow it dry with an air compressor.

CADplans 03-15-2018 09:56 AM

I degreased with "Purple Power" from Advance Auto, then pressure washed,,
I do not think any sanding was done,,,:bigthink:

http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/...003800x448.jpg

Marko141 03-15-2018 10:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just wire wheel, maybe a hint of sandpaper here and there, use the degreasing stuff that you can get right at advanced auto, powerwash it, let it dry in the sun, inspect and spray with the rattle can. I haven't done a ton of cub cadet frame but I have done it for many frames for other small engine vehicles. Anyone who says it's not good enough are just stubborn, if you aren't worried about show room quality then that's the route to take.

But yes I agree the sandplasting and paint gun will give you that showroom quality if you truly need it, but all my machines cub cadet or not are for work and not show.

Spray gun and air brush examples the red with the air brush was old rattle can:

olds45512 03-15-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marko141 (Post 448327)
I just wire wheel, maybe a hint of sandpaper here and there, use the degreasing stuff that you can get right at advanced auto, powerwash it, let it dry in the sun, inspect and spray with the rattle can. I haven't done a ton of cub cadet frame but I have done it for many frames for other small engine vehicles. Anyone who says it's not good enough are just stubborn, if you aren't worried about show room quality then that's the route to take.

But yes I agree the sandplasting and paint gun will give you that showroom quality if you truly need it, but all my machines cub cadet or not are for work and not show.

Spray gun and air brush examples the red with the air brush was old rattle can:

Can't they be for work and show? I have no issue using my tractors and when it's time to go to a show I give them a bath and they're good as new again.

Marko141 03-15-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 448329)
Can't they be for work and show? I have no issue using my tractors and when it's time to go to a show I give them a bath and they're good as new again.

Yes they can, but if you aren't to worried about professional quality or going to shows, maybe that they are just painted and wont rust is good enough for me. As long as someone is not using a paint brush to put it on I could care less lol. Again all these are just options, use anyone of these at your own discretion :ThumbsUp:

zippy1 03-15-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 448309)
I guess it depends on how nice you want it to be when it's done and how long you want it to last. You will get the best results if it's sandblasted and then sprayed with a good quality epoxy and the paint of your choosing. If you are planning to paint it with spray cans then I don't really think it matters what you do, spray paint will never look as good as paint from a gun and it also lacks durability since it's not hardened.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olds45512 (Post 448320)
Never wipe down sandblasted parts with anything. No matter what kind of rag or towel you use the texture left behind in the metal from the blaster will shred it and leave behind a ton of lint which is almost impossible to get rid of. Once the parts are blasted they are free from contaminants and you can simply blow the dust off real good and go straight to paint, just make sure you handle the blasted parts with rubber gloves to avoid contaminating them with oil from your hand. If you get a spot of something on them that needs cleaned use brake cleaner, just spray it on and then blow it dry with an air compressor.

:IH Trusted Hand: