Only Cub Cadets

Only Cub Cadets (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/index.php)
-   General Talk (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How loud are Command engines? (https://www.onlycubcadets.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50360)

john hall 10-25-2017 08:23 PM

How loud are Command engines?

Those of you that have been around the Command engines in the Cyclops machines, just how loud is the exhaust supposed to be? I swear mine is the loudest thing on the farm. Initial inspection of the muffler shows no holes. I'm wondering if it is burnt out internally or if someone has tried knocking the baffle out of it. I wear ear plugs when mowing, but this thing is still obnoxiously loud. Even at a fast idle this thing is loud. Looking for a little feedback before I order a new muffler (you know that ain't going to be cheap:bigeyes:). For the record, my Magnums, KT or the Onan even come close to this for volume.

cubby102 10-25-2017 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hall (Post 436139)
Those of you that have been around the Command engines in the Cyclops machines, just how loud is the exhaust supposed to be? I swear mine is the loudest thing on the farm. Initial inspection of the muffler shows no holes. I'm wondering if it is burnt out internally or if someone has tried knocking the baffle out of it. I wear ear plugs when mowing, but this thing is still obnoxiously loud. Even at a fast idle this thing is loud. Looking for a little feedback before I order a new muffler (you know that ain't going to be cheap:bigeyes:). For the record, my Magnums, KT or the Onan even come close to this for volume.

When I did the command swap on my 782 I can say the ch18 was considerably quieter than the kt17.

J-Mech 10-25-2017 09:03 PM

Replace the muffler John. It isn't supposed to be that loud.

john hall 10-25-2017 09:08 PM

Thanks guys. For whatever reason, we rarely have to replace mufflers on anything, not just lawn mowers, and then they are rotted through to the outside. I'll start pricing them. I'll price Kohler and Cadet--suppose I better make sure this is not unique to a Cadet application.

john hall 10-25-2017 09:15 PM

Well Cadet is sure proud of it. I only paid a little more for the entire lawnmower!:bash2: I'll search around some more. Who knows, maybe a custom muffler is in its future--thank goodness I know guys that can weld!
751-3110
MUFFLER KOHLER V
Price $275.57

J-Mech 10-25-2017 09:27 PM

Maybe someone has a good used one.... :biggrin2::biggrin2:

john hall 10-25-2017 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Mech (Post 436153)
Maybe someone has a good used one.... :biggrin2::biggrin2:

IHCCW has them used. Hey its end of season so a used one will show up somewhere/sometime in the next 6 months.

J-Mech 10-25-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john hall (Post 436156)
IHCCW has them used. Hey its end of season so a used one will show up somewhere/sometime in the next 6 months.

I actually thought i had one..... ill have to look. Don't let me forget.

Mike McKown 10-26-2017 08:11 AM

FWIW. I have an assortment of Magnum, Command and Vanguard twins.

The Magnums seem the quietest followed closely by the Vanguard. The Command is louder.

Then there is another Command that is much louder than the other Commands I own. It is on a tractor I bought that had accompanying paper work from a dealer that stated the muffler needed replacing because of a blown out internal baffle. No visible external holes.

As noted above, due to the pride CC takes in it's product pricing, I will continue to drive on like it is.

sorner 10-26-2017 09:36 AM

I love the sound of my good Command CH18. I can hardly hear it over the grass crying. If it's loud, the muffler has an issue. I wouldn't run it too long if it's leaking, I have some experience on this subject ... I had melted plastic on the air cleaner cover and valve cover from a leaky loud muffler blowing exhaust heat directly up from behind the heat shield... and probably other ventilation issues exacerbated the issue... but I think mostly it was the leaking muffler. :beerchug: